When do I need to obtain a permit?
- Interior renovations
- Additions of any size - residential, commercial, industrial
- Enlarging existing structures, rooms or spaces
- Creating new rooms or spaces within a structure
- Structural changes or repairs
- Demolitions of all or part of a structure
- New or replacement structures, including sheds, pools, decks, garages, carports, etc.
- Changes in Use or Occupancy
- Expansion or changes to electrical, plumbing, mechanical or fire protection systems
- Signs - new or replacement
Do I need to obtain a permit for repairs?
Ordinary repairs, classified as normal maintenance, do not require a permit. In general, to be considered a repair the item which is being repaired must already exist. Types of work may include:
- Painting or wallpapering
- Repairing floors or carpets
- Repairing interior trim, walls (this does not include demolition and reconstruction)
- Repairing cabinets or countertops
- Repairing roofs, windows, doors or siding