Hopkinton Recreation Committee
March 27, 2007
(These minutes are unofficial until approved at the next committee meeting)
Meeting called to order at 6:30 PM
Members in attending: Sharon Nall, Vernon Miller, James Martin, Dan Rinden and Recreation Director Robert Mattes.
Guests and potential members: Louise Carr, Valerie Carr, and Jeff E
January and February Minutes approved.
Committee requested that Louise Carr be reinstated as a member of the Recreation Committee. For the past three years, Louise has been the Selectmen Representative for the committee. Vote was unanimous in favor of the reinstatement. Rob will send appropriate request to the Board of Selectmen to have Louise appointed to the Recreation Committee
Easter Egg Hunt:
The Recreation Department’s annual Easter Egg Hunt is scheduled for this coming Saturday (March 31). Vernon Miller will not be able to make it to the Easter egg hunt to be the Easter Bunny; Sharon Nall will take over for Vernon and pick up the Bunny Costume at Ballard's in Concord Friday evening or Saturday morning (Thanks Sharon). Valerie will put together the bubble making supplies for the event and Rob will pick up wands and Jeff will check and see if he has a kiddy pool that we can borrow for the day. Jim will take care of pictures for the event. Everyone will arrive to help set up and “hide” the eggs at 9:45am.
Mary Congoran approached Rob last week regarding the Contoocook Carry and the role that the Recreation Department can play in it regarding offering insurance for the program. The requirements that were made by the Recreation Department were adequately covered and a motion was made by Sharon Nall and seconded by Dan Rinden that the Recreation Department move forward with the sponsorship of this event. Vote passed unanimously, Rob will notify the Board of Selectmen regarding this decision.
The Recreation Committee meeting minutes will be taken on a rotating basis so that the burden will not be on one person every month. Motion made by Sharon Nall, seconded by Dan Rinden that the entire committee shares in the minute taking. Jim Martin will begin the rotation next month.
Sub Committee formation:
The Recreation committee has decided to develop sub-committees for the following areas to be chaired by members of the Recreation Committee:
- Special Events: chaired by Louise Carr (when she is officially placed back on the Recreation Committee)
- Fund Raising: chaired by Sharon Nall
- Volunteer Campaign: proposed chair Lillian Landry
- Quarterly Newsletter: chaired by James Martin
4th of July Chili Festival:
The Recreation Committee is planning to develop a 4th of July chili festival to take the place of the 4th of July Strawberry festival which was run by the Hopkinton Community Center Inc. Louise Carr will be the contact person for the event. The Recreation Department will try to coordinate with other groups and individuals who may be interested in being part of the activity. The 4-H club will be contacted about running a barbeque chicken area; Sharon will contact the Rhum Boogie band to see if they have time and are interested in playing at the event. Valerie Carr will get contact information for the Recycled Percussions band and send the information to Rob.
A minimal entry fee was discussed for participants entering their chili into the competition. The reason behind this was to get a commitment from people who sign up for the event. Further discussion will take place regarding exact fee and whether or not to charge an entry fee for tasters.
Dan will contact the Sons of the American Revolution to see if they would be interested in doing some king of reenactment during that that. Louise has mentioned that she would like to see some form of Independence Day skit put together for the event. Louise and Dan will bring more information back to the committee at our next meeting.
Dan brought up the idea of having a family camping day at the Kimball Cabins in August. Discussion ensued and the committee agreed that a family camping program would be a good idea.
Sharon brought up the National Trails Day program that was discussed in February and due to the number of programs that are being put together right now and preparation for the first 4th of July Chili Festival it was deemed that we should abandon a trails day program this year and maybe take another look at it in the future.
Our next meeting will be Tuesday April 17th @ 6:30 PM at Columbia Hall.
We are adjourned at 8:45 PM.